First Experience Making a Podcast


     The first thing I thought about when making a podcast was how unique it is. It is meant to be people just talking about whatever they want while making sure it interests listeners. While you have to write down important topics and questions you want to cover during the podcast, you don't want to practice too much to make the conversation seem unnatural. This felt weird to me because I've only done formal presentations for schoolwork.

    My podcast co-host Landon and I immediately decided we wanted to have one of our baseball coaches, Patrick Lavelle, be our guest. He runs the social media accounts for the baseball team and has past experiences at Ohio University.

    When thinking about what topics to cover and questions to ask, we tried to connect the principles of social media with what we knew Coach Lavelle was good at. We concluded on the main topics as follows: How does social media apply to recruiting athletes and how to run a social media account for a team.

    We ended up asking a series of five questions that related to the main topics. Coach Lavelle gave in-depth answers about his journey and what he has learned. He also mentioned some tips for running an account on social media. There were definitely some things that he mentioned that I hadn't thought of, including the importance of timing on your posts. You don't want to post too often because viewers will just scroll past after a while, it's bad to post too little because people will forget about your team.

    After we conducted the podcast, I was able to reflect on what I would do differently if I were to do it again someday. A couple things I thought about were making more talking points for me and things I know. This is because Coach Lavelle was the expert in this case, so Landon and I listened more than we talked. I think it would be fun to create a podcast where the topics were about things that I already have a lot of knowledge about. 

    In the end, I think we did well for the first time making a podcast. There are obviously many things to improve on, but now I know what the action behind the scenes of a podcast looks
like.


https://drive.usercontent.google.com/download?id=1AqZbcuZMSvGthSI6ngFzLHD7YbPv_I0C&export=download&authuser=0&confirm=t&uuid=4651370b-60a7-40d1-88c1-057bd70b1979&at=APZUnTVe1dWxUo2WP5SFHIjbzyS2:1707406611882

Comments

  1. Very well written blog Drew. I find it intriguing that when you thought about what questions to ask your coach, you tried to connect social media aspects, with your coaches strengths. I feel that makes it easier for your coach to answer the questions. Also, I can relate to reflecting on the podcast. In hindsight I saw some imperfections with mine, that I could fix to better my future podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a co-host, I am truly honored to be able to make my first podcast with you. It was nothing but fun and if we had the time, I'd do it all over again. Besides the point, there are many parts of a podcast that a lot of people struggle with and that's having the ability to improvise a conversation. It's very easy to turn a podcast into an interview which shortens your time and deters your audince.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Progress- Looking Forward to Baseball

Last Week

Spring Break Plans