Christmas Break - Fun and Important Moments

    I had a very action-packed Christmas break that consisted of some fun moments and not so fun events. It makes the most sense to start at the beginning, when my dad and I went to a Clippers vs. Pacers game in Indiana a week before Christmas. Although that seems normal, the reason we went was not what you would expect. I don't really follow the NBA that much, but I know most of the players and who is good. But I am the biggest fan of the Clippers backup center Daniel Theis. At least that I know of. The story of how I decided on him as my favorite player is quite unique. 

    When he entered the league about 6 years ago, I loved to play the NBA video game of 2k. I was playing my friend as the Celtics, (Theis's old team)  when I decided to put in Daniel Theis, who was at the bottom of the depth chart. I went on to score 50 points with him and destroy my friend. After that, I would always dominate my friends with Daniel Theis even though he may not have been the best player on the court. Daniel ended up having a pretty successful career, however. Anyways, back to the game. We were close enough to the court that I thought I may have a chance to get a picture with him. One of the Pacers employees recognized I had his jersey on after the game and allowed me onto the court. I was stoked to be able to meet and get a picture with my guy Daniel. 



    The next noteworthy event occurred two days after Christmas. I had to get Tommy John surgery. For those who don't know, it is a common elbow surgery for baseball pitchers. It consists of replacing the bad tendon in your elbow with a new one from your wrist. The recovery time is quite a process. I won't be able to pitch again until about a year from now, just in time for the season next year. Although it will be a long road for me, I know I will be able to appreciate playing baseball so much more when I get back. 

Finally, my break ended on a great note. As soon as the Packers made the playoffs and we knew they were playing the Cowboys, my dad booked a flight to Dallas. We knew there was a good chance they lost, but we also knew what the Packers were capable of. The game also happened to be on my Birthday. The experience of going to a playoff game alone was awesome, but the fact that the Packers curb-stomped the Cowboys on their home turf made it even better. Watching Cowboys fans leave in disbelief was an awesome thing to see. 

    

     In the end, I couldn't ask for two cooler experiences. It totally outweighed getting surgery and created two moments I'll never forget. 


Comments

  1. In my sophmore year of high school I suffered a pretty serious neck injury playing football. It ended up halting my entire season and I had to go to multiple rehab and therapy sessions. It was a really tough time for me as they told me that I probably should give up football. I had told them there was no way that was going to happen, so I pushed myself really hard on the recovery so I can play the sport I love again. I do not regret one thing, I made it back and it made the sport that much better for me and I came back better than before and finished out my high school career. Just keep that head up on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your elbow, Drew. Besides surgery the rest of your winter break seemed fun! Hopefully watching the Cowboys lose on your birthday made up for the fact that you had surgery. I'm not a Packers fan but I am a Cowboys hater. Hope you have a good recovery and a good season when you're healed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Progress- Looking Forward to Baseball

Last Week

Spring Break Plans